GOVERNOR ABBOTT VETOES SB 359
Read Governor Abbott’s Veto Proclamation Here
VETO SB 359
STOP MEDICAL TYRANNY IN TEXAS!!!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Warrantless Detention Coming to Texas
Hospitals and Emergency Rooms!!!
Austin, Texas: The Texas Legislature decided to strip our constitutional rights away by passing SB 359 which will allow for warrantless detentions of our citizens for up to 4 hours in hospitals, emergency rooms, free-standing emergency clinics, and mental health facilities if patients want to leave before examination or treatment is complete and are “believed” to have a mental illness – No warrant, no hearing, no lawyer, no protections, no exceptions. Everyone using a hospital or emergency room is at risk!
Liberty-minded activists and parents across the state are calling for Governor Abbott to VETO SB 359 and keep constitutional rights, patient rights, medical freedom rights, and parental rights intact.
SB 359 gives doctors and hospitals police-type powers to detain and restrain by allowing each facility to design and implement its own unconstitutional warrantless detention policy to detain and/or restrain any person who “voluntarily” comes to that facility for any type of services – not just mental health.
“Basically, anyone who disagrees with a doctor or hospital and wants to leave against medical advice is at risk of being told they are delusional and can be coerced for the next 4 hours,” said Johana Scot, Executive Director for Parent Guidance Center. “And doctors already hold all the cards when it comes to treatment of children – if parents disagree, doctors just call CPS.”
SB 359 allows hospitals to write their own detention policies, creates the perfect storm for fraud and abuse, gives hospitals the same right to detain without warrant as peace officers, violates parental rights to choose and refuse treatment for their child, incrementally erodes other future rights since the detention will be listed in a person’s medical file, circumvents the existing process of informed consent, and could be used to violate current statutes that bar deception and coercion tactics at medical facilities.
And if that list is not enough to scare every Texan and make them think twice before seeking any medical care for themselves or their children, SB 359 clearly absolves doctors and facilities of any civil and criminal liability!
# # #
STOP MEDICAL TYRANNY IN TEXAS!!!
VETO SB 359
We are asking you to join us in a veto campaign against SB 359, one of the greatest threats to your rights and liberties this legislative session. We are calling it the “Forced Medical Treatment Act.”
SB 359 is about granting police powers to hospitals and doctors through warrantless detention for up to 4 hours in hospitals, emergency rooms, free-standing emergency care facilities, and mental health facilities. Presented as a “protection” for potentially mentally ill patients, this bill is about much more than that because it:
- Circumvents longstanding legal precedents on the right to refuse treatment, ie “against medical advice”
- Includes anyone who walks into a hospital or emergency room, free-standing emergency facility, or inpatient mental health facility for any kind of services or treatment, not just mental health issues
- Allows individual hospital policies to dictate what is now reserved for peace officers who have constitutional training
- Creates the perfect storm for fraud and abuse in an industry already noted for rising, rampant fraud and abuse
- Can incrementally erode a person’s rights because it will go in their medical record
- Will give the hospital time to diagnose and convert a person to an involuntary mental patient
- Violates a parent’s right to choose and refuse examinations and treatment for their children
- Circumvents the existing informed consent process
- Circumvents the statute barring deception and coercion at medical facilities
- Absolves facilities of all criminal or civil liability in their policy and decision-making
- Could have a chilling effect on people seeking urgent, life-saving medical care
- Targets anyone who disagrees with their medical treatment
WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!
Texans should be able to go to hospitals and emergency rooms
in Texas without the fear of being
detained and restrained against their will.
Contact Governor Abbott and ask for a VETO on SB 359 today!
Parent Guidance Center has become the parent advocacy leader in Texas – analyzing what’s wrong with the child welfare system, bringing the parent voice to the table, recommending changes to policies and procedures, determining where money should be spent, and opposing negative parent legislation while supporting better legislation for families. We attend meetings, sit on committees, participate in roundtable discussions, train and consult with attorneys, and keep the parent voice in the forefront of high-level strategic discussions about CPS reform.
If you are a parent involved with child protective services (CPS) and need help, please see the links to Services under the Information menu above for more case-specific help.
10 Reasons why you may NOT
have donated to Parent Guidance Center yet . . .
1) You think you will never be falsely accused of abusing your child, so probably don’t need your rights protected.
2) You assume parents accused of abuse and/or neglect are automatically assigned legal counsel.
3) You think parents involved with CPS must have done something or CPS would not get involved.
4) You weren’t aware that the state of Texas makes money every time a poor child is removed by CPS.
5) You also weren’t aware that the state of Texas makes money every time a child gets adopted instead of going home.
6) You had no idea only 30% of children removed by CPS go home in the state of Texas each year.
7) You assume that CPS helps parents complete their service plans and only terminates parental rights when absolutely necessary and with plenty of evidence.
8) You did not know that children are MORE likely to be abused in foster care than at home.
9) You were not aware of the fact that the majority of children are removed for NEGLECT, which is often related to poverty, not abuse.
10) You didn’t know that Parent Guidance Center has been protecting your parental rights for FREE for the past 10 years!
Now that you are informed, please donate to PGC so we can continue ensuring that parental rights remain in tact for at least another 10 years.
HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY Parent Guidance Center!